- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 03-06-2012
(Mashed Eggplant Curry)
Medium size egg plant - 1 no (big purple colour one u get in the market)
Oil - 3 tbsp
Green chilli (chopped) - 1 tsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Onion (chopped) - 1 large
Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
Tomato (chopped) - 3 medium sized or 2 big ones
Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
Asafoeitida - a pinch
1. Apply oil on the egg plant and roast the same directly on the gas stove.
2. After roasting, you will be able to remove the skin out of the egg plant. In this process, it is almost cooked from out and partially from inside.
3. Cut the same and ensure that there is no worms in it. Sometimes, you may find one. Afterwards, chop the same.
4. Take a kadai, pour oil in it when the oil becomes hot, add cumin seeds.
5. When it splutters, add onion, green chilli and saute for 2 minutes.
6. Then add ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute. Add the tomatoes and saute till tomatoes becomes soft.
7. Then add the chopped egg plant,turmeric powder, chilli powder, asafoeitida, salt and sauté from 5 minutes or till it is done.
8. You will get a nice aroma when it is cooked completely. Serve hot with chappati, bread.
Here is another variation of Bainghan ka Bartha.