- Submitted by Dahlia on 25th Feb 2015
(Broccoli with Crumbled Lentil)
Broccoli is one of our family favorite and I prepare it in many different ways. It is packed with nutrients and doctors advise having it as part of our meal as often as possible. If you have never tasted Broccoli before, it may not be very impressive in the first attempt. The more often you start eating it you will start loving it.
I have shared quite a few broccoli recipes already which includes Broccoli Poriyal, Broccoli Manchurian and Broccoli Potato Stir-fry. Here is a South Indian Brahmin style preparation called Paruppu Usili made with broccoli. Broccoli and lentils together make the dish so delicious that even kids will enjoy it. The flavor of broccoli will not be dominating in this dish as it has lentils in it. So if you are cooking with broccoli for the first time, you can safely try this dish. The bright green color of the broccoli with the yellow lentils makes the dish very eye appealing.
Recipe For Broccoli Paruppu Usili
Preparation time: 45 minutes (including soaking time)
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Broccoli - 1 crown (chopped broccoli florets about 2 cups)
- Bengal Gram (Channa dal) - 1/4 cup
- Split Red Gram (Toor Dal) - 1/4 cup
- Dry Red Chilies - 2-4
- Asafoetida (Hing, Perungayam) - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin (or Fennel Seeds) - 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
- Wash and soak the lentils (channa dal and toor dal) for at least half an hour.
- Drain the water completely and grind it to a coarse paste with dry red chilies, turmeric powder asafoetida and salt.
- Take a small portion of this paste in idli plates and steam it for 15 minutes. You can also use a steamer. There are people who microwave for 5 minutes or cook the lentil mixture on stove top for about 30 minutes. The idea is to get the lentils well cooked. I always prefer the traditional way of steaming.
- When it is cooked, crumble it with your hands. Do it when it is warm. You can also pulse it in the mixer. This will make the crumbles very soft and even.
- Wash, chop the broccoli into small florets and keep it ready. You can also use the peeled and chopped broccoli stem.
- Now heat oil in a pan and pop the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the chopped broccoli florets and stir fry for 3-4 minutes on medium heat. The broccoli will turn dark green in color.
- Now add the crumbled lentil mix (usili) and more salt if needed.
- Stir fry for another 5 minutes until everything is blended well and the dal is nicely roasted. Switch off.
- Serve this tasty side-dish with rice and moru curry or vattal kuzhambu.
- It can be served as a salad or as a sidedish for any roti items too.
More Broccoli Recipes