- recipe by Suji submitted on 03-07-2011
This is an easy recipe for carrot halwa.
Carrots - 5 big ones, washed and peeled.
Sugar - approx 130-150 gms.(11/2 cups).
Saffron - 3-4 strands(soaked in 2 tsps of milk).
Condensed milk - 3 tbsps.
Ghee - 2 tbsps.
1. Cut the carrots into large pieces.
2. Pressure cook the carrots without adding water or milk for about 2 whistles(Be careful not to overcook).
3. Let it cool.
4. Grind these carrots into a coarse paste in a mixer/blender along with saffron.
5. Heat the ghee in a kadai(preferably non-stick) and add this paste.
6. After 2 mins add sugar and keep stirring.
7. When it starts thickening add the condensed milk and keep stirring.
8. Use less of sugar in case of sweetened condensed milk.
9. Garnish with fruits or nuts of ur own choice.
- Though it doesnt appeal looks wise as much as the original gaajar ka halwa, this recipe saves a lot of time and pain involved in grating of carrots.
- And because carrots are pressure cooked, it consumes very less ghee, making it a more healthy alternative.
- Children jus love to eat this because of the paste form!