- Submitted by Dahlia on 22nd April 2013
(Achari Chicken Curry, Spicy Pickled Chicken Curry, Chicken in Pickling Spices, Achari Murg)
- Chicken - 1 kg (cut into small pieces)
- Dry red chillies - 8-10
Carom Seeds (Ajwain) - 1/2 tsp
- Onion - 3 (chopped)
Ginger garlic paste - 2 tbsp
- Tomatoes - 3-4 (pureed)
Green Chillies - 5-7 (You could use bell peppers or jalapenos instead.)
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Red Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
- Yogurt - 1/2 cup (use more if needed)
Lemon Juice - 2 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
Pickle with it oil - 2-3 tbsp (I use mango pickle or garlic pickle)
- Cilantro - handful
For Seasoning (Paanch Pooran)
Mustard Oil - 2-3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds (Rai) - 1 tsp
Onion seeds (Kalonji) - 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds (Methi dana) - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds (Jeera) - 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds (Saunf) - 1 tsp
Wash the chicken pieces nicely. Add some salt, lemon juice and slit green chillies to the chicken. Let this marinate while we get the other things ready.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add the seasoning ingredients (paanch pooran).
Add the dry red chillies and carom seeds.
- Add the chopped onion and saute till it turns golden brown.
Next fry the ginger garlic paste. Add the pureed tomato.
- Add the red chilly powder, salt, turmeric powder, pickle and let it cook till oil separates from the masala.
Add the chicken pieces and saute till the masala coats the chicken and the outside of the chicken is cooked.
- Tips : - You can use any brand of pickle of your choice - home made or store bought. This is not part of the traditional recipe but adding the pickle takes the dish to a whole new level.)
- If you want some gravy, add the yogurt at this stage. If you like it dry, scale down and add less curd or skip it all together.
- Cover and reduce the flame. Let the chicken cook in its own juices for 15-20 minutes. Splash some water only if the chicken sticks to the bottom of the pan.
Check for seasoning. Adjust salt, chilly powder and lemon juice according to your taste.
- Garnish with cilantro and switch off.
The best part about the dish is the red and green chillies. They are so much flavored with the spices in Achari Murg that you could eat them too.
- Serve the tasty achari murgh with any roti or white rice.
More Chicken Recipes