- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 09-24-2012
1 1/2 cup Powdered beaten rice (Poha) (to get 11/2 glass powder, you have to use 3 glass of poha)
1 1/4 cup Jaggery
Handful of grated coconut
Handful of coconut bits
6 tbsp Ghee
1/4 tsp Cardamom powder
Few cashew nuts
1. Clean the poha and grind to a fine powder in a mixer. ( Use the jada poha)
2. Sprinkle water on the same and mix well and keep for 15 minutes.
3. Melt the jaggery in 1/4 cup water and remove impurities.
4. In the same kadai, pour the jaggery syrup and boil till you find 2-3 strings.
(To check this, remove the spatula from the jaggery, dip your hand in water and touch the jaggery in the spatula with your index finger and touch the thumb, press it and open the fingers, you will be able to see the strings forming in between your fingers. Another method is to drop the jaggery in little water and remove it from the water you should be able to form a small ball out of it. At this stage, remove the same from the gas. )
5. Add coconut bits and grated coconut, cardamom powder and mix well.
6. Add the powdered beaten rice slowly and mix well.
7. When it is mixed well, add the ghee and again mix it till you find the same in a granular form like sheera.
8. Remove from gas. Garnish with fried cashew nuts. Prasad is ready.
a day or two