-Submitted by Dahlia on 24th Jan 2013
(Green Beans Poriyal, Purple Beans Poriyal, Yellow Beans Poriyal)
Green Beans (also called French Beans or String Beans) is very common throughout India and even other parts of the world. In India we make poriyal, beans sabzi, beans fry and it is also used in may curries and pulavs along with other vegetables.
Few months back I happened to go to the farmers market in United States. There I came across purple beans and yellow beans. They looked so fresh and tempting. I took a bunch each of the green beans, purple beans and yellow beans. Beans is our family favorite and I made poriyal with all the three colours. Most of us must have tasted the green beans. But if any of you happen to come across the other colored beans, do not hesitate to buy and try it. They taste very similar.
The interesting thing about purple beans is that it changes colour from purple to green when it gets cooked. I wonder how the colour changes!! Yellow beans had a pale pleasant colour. Here is a very common recipe for beans poriyal with some interesting variations for you to experiment with.
- Beans (Green/Purple/Yellow) - 1/2 lb (250 grams)
- Onion - 1/2 (finely chopped - optional)
- Green chilies - 2 (slit)
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Grated coconut - 3-4 tbsp
- Salt - as required
- Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
Red chili -1
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Wash the beans and snap (or cut) the edges. Remove the string that comes along with the edges.
- Arrange about 10 beans into a bundle and chop it into small uniform pieces.
Heat oil in a kadai (frying pan) and splutter the mustard seeds.
- Add the urad dal, asafoetida and curry leaves and fry till the dal turns golden brown.
Add the chopped onion, green chilies and beans.
- Add salt, turmeric powder and little water. Mix everything, cover and let it cook for about 10 minutes or till the beans become soft.Sprinkle more water if needed.
- Add grated coconut, toss it together and switch off. Tasty beans poriyal is ready to served.
- Try adding a beaten egg at the end. Stir fry for just a minute till the egg gets cooked and gets incorporated. This is a very tasty variation for all the egg lovers.
- To make it more Kerala style, sometimes I like to coarsely grind the grated coconut with the green chilies and 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds and add it. I love the flavor of cumin seeds.
- You could also soak 2 tbsp of moong dal and add it along with the beans while cooking. This way the moong dal will be cooked without getting mushy. This is an interesting variation for all the dal lovers.
- Serve with rice or chapatti.
Purple Beans Poriyal
Purple Beans chopped
Purple Beans Poriyal
Yellow Beans Poriyal
Yelloe Beans Poriyal
More Recipes With Green Beans