- submitted by Raji on 23rd March 2014
(Kodum Pitlai, Pavakkai Pitlai, Pagarkkai Pitlai)
Bitter gourd (Pagarkkai, Pavakka) - 1 large
Tamarind - small lemon sized ball
Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
Chana dal - 1 tsp
Dry red chili - 2-3
Black pepper - 4-5
Salt - to taste
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 2-3 tbsp
Grated coconut - 4-5 tbsp
Toor dal (Split Red Lentils) - 1/2 cup
Grated coconut - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Asafoetida (hing) powder - 1/4 tsp
1. Wash and slice the bitter gourd (pavakka) into thin slices.
2. Heat oil in a kadai and saute the bitter gourd pieces till it becomes crisp. Keep it aside.
3. In the same kadai, fry the coriander seeds, chana dal, red chili, black pepper, grated coconut. Cool and grind it to a smooth paste.
4. Boil the toor dal separately till it becomes soft and keep aside.
5. In the kadai, add the pavakka, turmeric powder, salt and boil till the raw smell goes off.
6. Add the ground masala, boiled tuvar dal and bring it to a boil.
7. Temper with ingredients mentioned above. Switch off.
Pavakka pitla is ready.
Other Bitter gourd Recipes