- Submitted by Beryl
(Chakkaravalli Kilangu, Shakkarkhand, Purple Sweet Potatoes, Orange Sweet Potatoes)
Boiled sweet potatoes are one of the simplest and common ways of serving this tasty tuber. This method of cooking retains most of the nutrients in the sweet potato. It is often served to kids as an after school snack. It is very filling along with some tea.
I have already shared about the different varieties of sweet potatoes available. In India, red skin variety with white or yellow flesh is commonly available. People living abroad may be hesitant to try out the new colored ones available locally there. I encourage everyone to just try out as all the varieties are equally delicious. The procedure for boiling is the same. Kids will enjoy the different colors.
Below I have shared pictures of three different varieties that I found here in Australis. The first one is the purple sweet potatoes, which are found in some selected vegetable shops. It is called as WSPF potatoes in Australia, because it has White Skin and Purple Flesh inside. These potatoes have firm flesh and sweeter taste. I have also shared pictures of the Indian variety with Yellow flesh and Red skin. The orange sweet potatoes with orange flesh shown below are the most common ones in US and Australia. It is supposed to have the highest beta carotene content. I find this one less sweeter comparatively but the color is very attractive.
Don't forget to buy some sweet potatoes next time you go shopping.
Sweet Potato with White Skin & Purple Flesh
Sweet Potato with Red Skin & Yellow Flesh
Sweet Potato with Orange Flesh & Orange Skin
Recipe for Boiled Sweet Potatoes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Serves: 3 - 4
- Sweet Potatoes- 3
- Salt- a pinch
- Water- Half of the pan
- In a big pan, pour water to its half and keep it on the stove top for boiling.
- In the meanwhile, wash and cut the potatoes in 2-3 small pieces. Slit it through the centre into two equal portions.
- Put the cut sweet potato piecess in the boiling water and sprinkle a pinch of salt. Be careful not to add too much salt.
- Make sure the potatoes are submerged in the water, or else add more water. Cover with a lid and let it boil for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Using a knife or spoon, just check if the potatoes are cooked enough. If the knife or spoon can go inside the potatoes and if the piece looks soft it is cooked.
- Remove the pieces from water immediately. Peel the skin of the potatoes and it is ready to serve.
Serving Boiled Sweet Potato
- One of the ways in which boiled sweet potato is served in our native place is with red chili paste. For that take about 1 tbsp of red chili powder in a small bowl, add enough salt. Add about 2 tsp of coconut oil. If you do not have coconut oil, you can add vegetable oil or any other cooking oil. Mix it well, so that it looks like a paste. Adjust the ingredients by tasting it. The boiled sweet potatoes can be served now with the red chili paste.
- If you do not want to make this, just serve it plain or have with some tomato ketchup.
More Sweet Potato Recipes