- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 09-24-2012
A quick snack for your unexpected visitors along with a cup of coffee/tea provided you have the items in stock at home.
Besan (Gram Flour) - 2 cups
Chilli powder - 2 tsp (as per your choice/requirement)
Ajwain - ½ tsp
Hing powder a pinch
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Rice flour - 2 tsp
Bread slices - 5-6
A pinch of baking soda (optional)
Oil for deep frying
1. In a bowl, mix the besan, chilli powder, ajwain, hing powder, rice flour, salt.
2. Add water and make a smooth batter for the bhaji (pakoda).
3. Heat two tsp oil and mix with the batter for a crispy pakoda. If you add the hot oil in the mix, there is no need to add soda.
4. Cut the bread slices into four pieces.
5. Dip each piece in the batter and deep fry.
6. Remove the excess oil by placing them in paper napkin. Serve hot with sauce/chutney.