- Submitted by Dahlia on 14th Mar 2015
(Indian Style Broccoli Stir Fry, Broccoli Mezhukkupuratti in Microwave Oven, Kerala Style Quick and Healthy Broccoli Stir Fry)
Mezhukkupuratti is a traditional dish from Kerala where the vegetables are stir fried with onions, green chilies, salt and some turmeric powder. The simplicity of the dish with very few spices actually highlights the vegetable cooked.
Today I have shared the recipe of Broccoli Mezhukkupuratti in the microwave. You can use the same ingredients and stir fry on stove top too. You could also include other vegetables like carrots or potatoes to make this mezhukkupuratti. Try this simple dish and enjoy with some rice or roti.
- Broccoli - 1 crown
- Onion - 1 medium onion (or 1/2 of big onion)
- Green chilly - 3 (or 2 jalapeno peppers)
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp (reduce or increase as needed)
- Cut the broccoli into medium sized florets. You can also include the stem after peeling the skin.
- Rinse the broccoli and keep it In a big microwave safe bowl.
- Chop the onion into medium size pieces.
- Slice the green chilies.
- Pour oil to a small microwave safe dish (preferably a ceramic bowl).
- Add the mustard seeds in the oil.
- Keep the bowl in microwave oven at high power for 45 seconds (or till mustard seeds starts spluttering).
- Add the onion and chilies to the oil and mix.
- Keep it in microwave Owen for 2 minutes.
- Take the bowl out add turmeric powder, pepper and the salt and keep the bowl again in the microwave for another 2 minutes.
- Take out the onion chili mixture and add to it the cut broccoli florets. Mix well.
- Keep the bowl in microwave for 2 to 3 minutes (till the broccoli turns bright green).
- Leave it for a minute before you take out and serve.
- Broccoli Mezhukkupuratti is a good side-dish combination with Variety Rice or Roti.
More broccoli recipes