- Submitted by Dahlia on 7th Mar 2016
(Dalia Cutlet, Dalia Tikki, Lapsi ki Tikki, Samba Godhumai Rava Cutlet, Broken Wheat Cutlet, Bulgur Patties)
Who doesn’t love tikkis (cutlets / patties) or any kind of snack? Most of them are however made of unhealthy ingredients. Here we have a tasty but nutritious broken wheat cutlets that you can enjoy without any guilt. These broken wheat patties are high in fiber content that comes from the broken wheat, has vitamins from the vegetables and calcium from the paneer. They are pan fried making it super healthy snack.
Kids usually do not enjoy eating upma made with bulgur. These cutlets are a great way to make kids eat a complete meal. In fact whenever I make broken wheat upma for breakfast, I make these cutlets for evening snack with the leftover upma. You can do it that way or make it from scratch. Even adults are looking out for new ways to incorporate broken wheat in their menu. This dish is a great choice, so be sure to try it out.
People on diet can have these as snack or make it a complete healthy meal by stuffing it in some whole wheat pita or whole wheat bread. It’s a great option to serve as patties for vegetarian burger. You can make a big batch and freeze to use later.
I have added soy sauce and chili sauce to make it with Chinese flavors. You can make it in Indian flavors by adding 1 tsp of red chili powder and ½ tsp of garam masala.
Video Instruction For Making Broken Wheat Patties
Recipe For Making Broken Wheat Patties
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes: 16 cutlets
- Broken wheat (Bulgur, Dalia, Lapsi, Samba Godhumai Rava) – ½ cup
- Paneer – ½ cup (grated)
- Mixed vegetables (Carrots, Potato, Capsicum, Corn etc.) - 3/4 cup (grated)
- Onion – 1 small (about ¼ cup chopped)
- Garlic – 3 cloves (finely chopped)
- Soy Sauce – 1 tsp
- Chili Sauce – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Wheat flour/Bread crumbs – 2-3 tbsp
- Oil – for frying
- Take 1 cup of water for ½ cup of broken wheat and bring to a boil.
- Once the water boils, add some salt. Reduce the heat and add the broken wheat to it while constantly stirring.
- After couple of minutes switch off and keep it covered for 5 minutes. The broken wheat will get cooked with the steam. If you are making with leftover broken wheat upma, use it instead.
- In the meantime, grate or finely chop all the vegetables. Take all these raw vegetables in a mixing bowl. You can partially cook them in the microwave but I just added them as such.
- Add the cooked broken wheat, grated paneer, soy sauce and chili sauce to this. Mix everything together.
- If there is excess moisture, add some bread crumbs or plain wheat flour and mix.
- Check for seasoning and adjust if needed. Take small portions of the mixture and shape it into cutlets.
- Heat a griddle and drizzle about 2 tsp of oil. Place these cutlets and shallow fry them till they turn golden brown on both sides.
- Serve these dalia tikkis with some tomato ketchup or curd sauce for a tasty evening snack.
- You can use these cutlets to make bread sandwich, pita pocket sandwich or burger.
More Cracked & Broken Wheat Recipes