- Submitted by Dahlia on 4th May 2015
(Buttered Sweet Corn, American Corn, Makkai, Cholam)
Butter corn is one quick snack that I love to prepare very often during evenings. You can also make it as a sidedish with some baked chicken or whole roasted chicken. It is a favorite among kids and can also be made for kids birthday parties or picnics.
I have just shared the recipe with some basic spices. Sometimes, when I am in a mood of enjoying it more spicy, I add some chaat masala to the butter corn. Just follow the method and play around with the spices to suit to your taste. Enjoy!..
- Sweet corn - 3
- Butter - 1 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Red Chili Powder - 1 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Cilantro/Parsley - 2 sprigs (finely chopped)
- Bring water to boil in a large pot. Add enough salt to this and the corn cobs.
- Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the corn cob and keep it in a kitchen towel to absorb the excess moisture.
After this, you can proceed in either of the below two ways
- Spread the butter on the corn. The warmth in the corn will melt the butter and help to spread easily.
- Immediately sprinkle the chili powder, pepper powder, little salt and finely chopped cilantro all around. It will stick to the butter.
- Put it on a skewer and enjoy the buttered corn on the cob. Kids will love this style of presentation.
- Peel the corn off the cob to a bowl using a sharp knife.
- Mix the butter, salt, red chili powder, pepper powder and salt. At this stage you can warm it up in the microwave or stove top.
- Finally, mix in the finely chopped cilantro. Serve in individual bowls with a spoon. This is a more sophisticated and adult way of serving.
Either way, you can enjoy this warm and addictive snack in a matter of just 10 minutes.
- You can also make this with frozen corn very easily. Just microwave the corn kernels for 2-3 minutes. Drain any water that comes out. Mix in the butter and spices and enjoy!!!
More Corn Recipes