- submitted by Dahlia on 10th Sep 2013
(Yam Pudding, Suran Kheer, Chena Pradhaman)
Chena Kilangu (Yam) - 1 kg
Jaggery - 1/2 - 3/4 kg (depending on your sweet preference.)
Sago (Chowwary/Javarisi/Sabudhana) - 150 gm
Coconut Milk - 1/2 litre
Raisins - 50 gm
Cashew - 50 gm
Cardamom - 5 pods (crushed)
Ghee - 50 gms
1. Wash the yam thoroughly to remove all dirt, peel the skin and chop it into small pieces.
2. Boil the yam pieces in sufficient water.
3. Grind it to a smooth paste using a mixie. You can grind it coarsely if you like to have some texture.
4. Melt the jaggery in little water and strain it to remove any impurities.
5. Soak the sago for half an hour, boil it till it becomes transparent and keep aside.
6. Take a heavy bottomed pan. Add the jaggery syrup, boiled sago and yam paste to this.
7. Add the coconut milk and boil the mixture. Add more water or coconut milk and boil to bring it to your desired consistency.
8. Add the crushed cardamom pods.
9. Heat ghee and roast the cahsews and raisins in a small pan. Add it to the payasam.
10. Switch off and cover it. Let it rest for a few minutes before serving.