- submitted By Dahlia on 1st Mar 2014
Egg noodles – 300 gms (about 10 oz)
Whole Chicken – 1 (about 1.5 kg or 3 lbs)
Carrots – 3 (diced)
Celery – 3 (diced)
Dried Thyme – 1 tsp (Sometime I use 1 tsp of Italian Seasoning)
Cilantro (or parsley) – handful (chopped)
Salt – to taste
Black Pepper Powder – to taste
Olive Oil – 2 tsp
For the stock
For making the stock, use any vegetables that you have on hand. These are the vegetables I used.
Carrot – 1
Celery – 1
Onion – 1
Spring Onions – 3
Garlic – 5 cloves
Wash the chicken thoroughly. Remove and discard the skin. Cut small cubes of the boneless meat and keep it separately for the soup. Use the bony pieces to make the chicken stock.
To make chicken stock
- Take a big pressure cooker or pot filled with three quarters of water. Add the bony pieces of chicken and the vegetables to it.
- Bring it to a boil and reduce to medium heat. If you are using open pot, simmer it partially covered for about 1 hour. If using a pressure cooker, put the whistle and cook for about 15 whistles. We want all the essence from the bones to come out and flavor the stock.
- Strain out the stock and discard the bones and vegetables. Reserve this stock to make the soup. Instead of making the stock at home, you can use store bough stock or bouillon and skip the above steps.
To make Chicken Noodles Soup
- Take a big soup pot and heat the olive oil. Add the chicken cubes to it. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add all the diced vegetables and stir fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the dried thyme and chicken stock. After it boils, reduce the flame and bring it to simmer.
- While it is simmering, add the egg noodles, required salt and black pepper powder. Cook for about 5-10 minutes till the noodles are cooked through. Do not overcook the noodles. Check the packet for cooking instructions.
- By now the chicken and veggies will also be cooked. Adjust the consistency of the soup by adding more stock or water.
- Finally mix in chopped cilantro and switch off.
Steamy chicken noodles soup is ready. Serve this hearty comforting meal during winter.