- Submitted by Dahlia on 22nd July 2014
Cinnamon Raisin bread is a classic bread variety in which the cinnamon sugar and raisins are rolled into the bread. This rolling creates a beautiful swirl pattern in the bread for which it is famous. The filling of the aromatic cinnamon sugar and juicy raisins adds a little sweetness to the bread. This bread is a winner when it comes to its taste and its appearance.
- All purpose flour (Maida) - 4 cups
- Dry milk powder - 1/3 cup
- Yeast - 3 tsp
- Sugar - 2 tblsp
- Salt - 2 tsp
- Dalda (or any vegetable shortening) - 3 tbsp
- Warm water - 1 1/4 cup
- Egg - 1
- Butter - 2 tbsp
- Sugar - 1/4 cup
- Ground Cinnamon - 2 tbsp
- Raisins - 1/2 cup
- Mix the ground cinnamon and sugar together and keep the cinnamon sugar filling ready.
- Spread some butter in a 9x5” loaf pan and keep it ready. If its a good non stick pan, you can skip this step.
- Mix together the luke warm water, sugar and yeast in a bowl. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes till the mixture becomes frothy, an indication that the yeast is activated.
Note : If the liquid doesn't bubble up, it means that the yeast is not alive. Please buy fresh yeast and start again. It’s a waste of time and ingredients if you continue.
- Take this activated yeast mixture, flour, milk powder, salt and egg in a mixer. I use the ‘dough attachment’ in the grinder to do the job. Knead everything till it comes together.
- Continue kneading for about 5 minutes, till the dough is nice and smooth. Add more flour if needed.
- Remove the dough into a greased bowl. Rub few drops of oil on the top of the dough ball to prevent it from getting dried up.
- Cover with a damp kitchen towel and leave it in a warm place for about 3 hours. It may take a little longer than 3 hours depending on the quality of your yeast.
- Once it has doubled in volume punch the dough and roll it out into a big rectangle. The smaller sde of the rectangle should be the width of the pan.
- Smear the top with the melted butter. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar and raisins all over.
- Roll out the dough into a tight log. Place this log into the loaf pan. Cover with the damp cloth and allow it to rest again till it rises above the edges of the loaf pan. It usually takes between 1-4 hours.
- When the dough is almost ready, preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F).
- Mix together 1 egg with 1 tbsp of milk in a small bowl. Brush this mixture over the top of the loaf.
- Bake the bread for 40 minutes. When you tap on the bread it should sound hollow.
- Let the bread cool for at least 15 minutes before you slice it.
Enjoy this tasty Cinnamon Raisin bread on a relaxed weekend!!!
Other International Recipes