- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan on 26th April 2016
All seasonal fruits and vegetables are good for health. Now it is the season of corn. You can make corn pakodas, corn pattice, corn kheer and what not. I decided to make a different dish called Chana Watli Dal. It is very delicious. I encourage you all to prepare and enjoy it.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Fresh corn kernels - 1 cup (crushed)
- Channa dal - 1/2 cup
- Raw mango pieces - 2 tbsp (or use 1 tsp of lemon juice)
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Oil - 3-4 tbsp (about 10 tsp)
- Asafoetida (hing) powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Green chilies - 3
- Ginger - 1/2 piece
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Fresh grated coconut - 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Raw mango pieces - 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Coarsely crush the corn and keep it ready.
- Soak the channa dal for 2 hours, drain the water and coarsely crush it.
- Grind the ginger, garlic and green chili to a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When it splutters add the asafoetida (hing) powder and add curry leaves.
- Then add the crushed corn and saute for a minute.
- Add the crushed chana dal and saute the same for few minutes.
- Then add the turmeric powder, salt, chilli-ginger-garlic paste and saute till it is cooked.
- Transfer it to a bowl or plate and garnish with finely chopped mango, fresh grated coconut and finely chopped coriander leaves. Instead of chopped mangoes you can add lime juice also.
- Serve hot
- We can use the corn watli dal as a stuffing to make modak, sandwich or elai adai.