- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 10-31-2012
Diwali lehyam is made out of ginger, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, omam (ajwain or carom seeds), black pepper, cardamom, jaggery and ghee. My mother in law used to make this lehyam during rainy season as we get tender ginger. In other seasons, the thread (fibres) will form in the ginger and hence she prefers to make during rainy days. It is a good medicine for indigestion, gas, stomach ache etc. During diwali after taking bath, she used to give us a small marble of the same. This is in order to protect us from indigestion, stomach related problems after eating all the sweets and savories of diwali. Let us look at the ingredients and way of preparation of this lovely lehyam. This lehyam lasts for one year if properly used and kept in fridge.
1 cup Chopped ginger
1/2 cup Coriander seeds
2 tbs Cumin seeds
2 tbsp Ajwain (Omam, Carom Seeds)
15 Elaichi (Cardamom Pods - remove the skin)
3/4 cup Jaggery
1 tbsp Peppercons
4 tbsp Clarified butter
1. Clean, wash and soak the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, ajwain, peppercons in water for 1 hour.
2. Grind together the seeds with ginger and elaichi to a fine paste.
3. In a kadai, melt the jaggery with little water and remove the impurities.
4. Add the paste to the jaggery, add the ghee and cook the same till it starts leaving the sides of the kadai as shown in the video.
5. Store it in an airtight container and keep in fridge. Diwali lehyam is ready.
Do not use wet spoon to remove the same. It lasts for one year if properly used and kept in fridge. Enjoy the diwali with lots of sweets and savouries.
: 10 minutes
: 30 minutes