-Submitted by Dahlia on 16th Nov 2015
(Yellow Cucumber Dal, Dosakaya Parupu)
- Toor Dal (Pigeon Peas) – ½ cup
- Dosakaya (Yellow Cucumber) – 1 (about ½ lb)
- Green Chilies – 2
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander leaves (Cilantro) – handful (finely chopped)
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ¾ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ¾ tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/8 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida - 1/8tsp
- Curry Leaves – Few
- Garlic – 2 cloves (chopped)
- Red Chili Powder – 1/8tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/8tsp
- Wash the toor dal and take it in a pressure cooker. Add about 2 cups of water.
- Wash the dosakaya, peel it, cut into half and discard the seeds. Cut into small cubes. Add this also to the pressure cooker.
- Also add the green chilies and required salt. Close the pressure cooker and cook for 2 whistles.
- Let the pressure go down by itself.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add the mustard seeds, urad dal and cumin seeds.
- Once the seeds crackle, add the asafetida, fenugreek seeds, chopped garlic, dry red chili and curry leaves. Fry for a minute.
- Add the turmeric powder and red chili powder. Now add this seasoning to the cooked dal. (or add the cooked dal to the kadai)
- Add little water to adjust the consistency. Cook for couple of minutes before switching off.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with white rice or chapatti.
- The dal tastes very good as such. If however you need a little sourness, add 1 tsp of tamarind juice or lemon juice.
- I haven’t added onions to the dal. If desired you can add it while cooking the dal.
Recipes With Cucumber