- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 10th Aug 2013
(Sesame Seeds Rice, Til ka Chaawal)
Sesame seeds are used in culinary as well as in traditional medicines for their nutritive, preventive and curative properties. Its oil seeds are sources for some phyto-nutrients such as omega-6 fatty acids, flavonoid phenolic anti-oxidants, vitamins and dietary fiber with potent anti-cancer as well as health promoting properties.
Rice contains amino acids (protein's building blocks) and Vitamin B. Rice blended with seasme seed powder and the seasoning makes this dish yummy.
Rice - 1 cup
Salt - to taste
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 2 tsp
Til (Sesame) oil - 2 tsp
Grated jaggery - 1 tsp
Red chilli - 5-6 ( broken into pieces)
Few curry leaves
White sesame seeds - 100 gms
1. Cook the rice and keep aside (grains should be separate)
2. Dry roast the white sesame seeds and grind to a fine powder.
3. In a kadai, add the oil. When it becomes hot, add the mustard seeds, urad dal and red chilli.
4. When the seeds splutters, add curry leaves.
5. Add the rice, salt, seasme seeds powder and mix well till it blends together and a nice aroma of the ingredients comes.
Your ellu sadam or seasme seeds rice is ready to serve with fried papad/kurdas/wafers of your choice.
: 20-30 minutes
: 30 minutes