- recicpe by Dahlia submitted on 02-24-2013
(Brinjal Chops, Muslim brinjal curry, Kathirikkai gotsu)
Brinjal (small tender ones) - 6-8 (sliced)
Tamarind - Lemon size (soak in water)
Red Chilly Powder - 1 tblsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
To roast and powder
Sesame seeds - 1 tblsp
Peanuts - 1 tblsp
Sesame Oil - 3 tblsp + 1 tblsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Crushed black peppercons - 1 tsp
Curry Leaves - 2 springs
Asafoetida - a pinch
1. Dry roast the sesame seeds and peanuts separately. You can also buy it roasted to make life a little easier.
2. Make a powder of the same and keep it aside.
3. Heat 3 tblsp of sesame oil in a kadai. Splutter the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Add the peppercons, asafoetida and curry leaves.
4. Add the sliced brinjal pieces and saute in the oil till it gets cooked and tender.
5. Add the tamarind pulp, red chilly powder, turmeric powder and the sesame-peanut powder.
6. Cook till oil seperates from the gravy. This takes about 15-20 minutes
7. Add 1 tblsp of fresh sesame oil and 1 spring of curry leaves and switch off.
- Ennai Kathrikai is a famous accompaniment for chicken biryani along with boiled egg and onion raita inTamil nadu.
- You can also serve this with white rice, pulav or with chapati.