- Submitted by Dahlia on 19th Jul 2016
(Sunny Side Up Egg, Bulls Eye Egg, Half Boiled Egg, Egg Half Fry, Single-Fried Egg, Half Fried Egg)
Fried Eggs are one of the common preparations done in many countries around the world using chicken eggs. In India, it is known as Bulls Eye Egg and is a popular item served by street vendors (known as Thattu Kadai) in Tamil. Fried Eggs can be served with rice, bread toast, grits, noodles or as an accompaniment with any main dish. It is often served for breakfast. In India, whenever one has symptoms of cold fried egg is given with loads of crushed pepper powder.
Fried Eggs are usually cooked until the egg whites become opaque and fully white. The yolks will be runny. As with other dishes, it can be cooked a little longer until the bottom is crispy or with a sprinkle of water to cook perfectly. It depends on personal preference. It is usually not flipped but some people like to do it that way too.
Fried Eggs or Half Boiled Eggs served with a cup of milk used to be my standard breakfast during my school days. It make a filling and healthy meal.
Recipe for Fried Egg
Preparation Time: 1 minute
Cooking Time: 3 minutes
- Egg - 1
- Salt - a pinch
- Pepper - a pinch
- Oil/Butter - 1/2 tsp
- Heat a pan over medium low heat. You can use a cast iron griddle or non stick pan. If you have a wide pan, you can make more than one eggs at a time. I just used my small non stick pan to make one egg at a time.
- Add the oil/butter to the pan.
- After about 10 seconds, crack the egg.
- Hold the cracked eggs about 2 inches from the hot pan and break it open. If you are scared to break it directly onto the hot pan, break the eggs in a small bowl and pour it gently into the pan. If using a wider pan, add 2-3 eggs at a time leaving space between them and cook simultaneously.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper on top of the eggs. You can add this while serving too.
- Cook until the egg whites are fully set. It takes about 3 minutes. The yolks should be runny. You can put a lid to speed up the process.
- Remove it carefully on to a serving plate.
- If the same preparation is made in a slightly higher heat, the edges of the eggs will be browned and crispy. It looks like a lace around the eggs and are called Lacy Eggs.
- The above preparation is also known as Bulls Eye Egg or Half Fry bina palti in India. If the same egg is flipped and the other side is cooked, the yolk becomes set and hard. This is called Double Fried Egg or Over Hard or Over Well done eggs in english. In hindi it is known as Egg Fry Palti Maarke.
Double Fried Egg
- Fried Eggs are typically eaten for breakfast with a slice of toast in English speaking countries.
- In India, it is served as an accompaniment with rice, parotta, dosa, chapatti, appam etc.
More Egg Recipes