- Submitted by Dahlia on 13th Aug 2016
(Hot Cocoa, Drinking Chocolate)
Hot Chocolate is a rich drink made with chocolate, milk and sugar. It is an item that is the top seller in coffee shops. The chocolate used can be semisweet, bittersweet or dark depending on individual taste. A much lighter drink is made by mixing cocoa powder with milk and sugar. This is called Hot Cocoa and has low fat content. In America, both names are used interchangeably.
In my house, kids enjoy this as a substitute for their evening cup of milk. Instead of mixing boost or horlicks, this can be made for a change. I may not have chocolate bars on hand all the time but I surely have a box of cocoa powder. So I prefer making this with cocoa powder.
This drink is often considered as a fancy drink served in fast food restaurants and coffee shops. You will be surprised to know the health benefits. Cocoa contains high amounts of anti-oxidants and cancer preventing properties. Cocoa also helps in digestion and maintain a good mood. The commercially available hot chocolate is usually loaded with sugar and fat content making it not so healthy. When you make it at home, you have a complete control over these. I usually make this with just enough sugar and low fat milk so that I am drinking healthy while satisfying my cravings. I am sure this will motivate you to enjoy this drink without any guilty feeling.
It is a perfect beverage for cold winters. What a warm feeling to have sips of hot chocolate on a snowy day!! You can also serve it for sudden guests. We also enjoy this with a rich baked meal. Try out this simple drink today.
Recipe for Hot Chocolate
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 2 minutes
- Milk – 1 cup
- Cocoa Powder (unsweetened) – 1.5 tbsp
- Sugar – 1-2 tbsp
- Vanilla Extract – 2 drops
- Take the cocoa powder, sugar and 1-2 tbsp of milk in a cup until it is well dissolved.
- Transfer this mixture to a sauce pan and add the remaining milk.
- Place it on the stove and heat it. Once it becomes hot , just before it boils add the vanilla extract and switch off.
- Make it frothy using a hand shaker or a blender. You can also make it by simple pouring it back and forth using two cups (the traditional old method).
- Pour it into the serving cup, top it with marshmallows, cream or chocolate shavings. Enjoy it hot.
Serving Hot Chocolate
- Enjoy hot chocolate with your favorite cookies on a cold winter day.
More Beverages Recipes