- Submitted by Dahlia on 26th Jul 2016
(Kadumanga Achar, Maangai Pisaral, Mamidikaya Pachadi, Mavinakayi Uppinakayi)
Instant Mango pickle or “maangai pesaral” is the simplest and the lip smacking pickles that can be made in a jiffy. It is also called as Kalyana maangai as it’s commonly served in all marriages. It is made throughout South India during the summer months. In Kerala it is referred to as 'Kadumanga Achar'. In Telugu this pickle is called as Mamidikaya Pachadi and in Karnataka it is called Mavinakayi Uppinakayi.
The pickle can be eaten as soon as you make it but it tastes better after it rests for a few hours. It is the best accompaniment to curd rice, khichdi, sambhar rice, kanji and even upmas. When handled properly and refrigerated it stays fresh up to a week.
Recipe for Instant Mango Pickle
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes.
- Raw mango - 1 (about 200 gms)
- Turmeric Powder – a pinch
- Red chili powder - 2 tsp
- Fenugreek powder – a pinch
- Salt – according to taste
For the seasoning
- Sesame oil - 2 tbsp
- Asoefaedita - 1 pinch
- Mustard seeds -1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Wash the mango under running water to get rid of all dirt and other impurities. Wipe it dry with a towel.
- Cut into small pieces with the skin.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, fenugreek powder and chili powder to the mango pieces. Mix it very well. Taste the mix and add more spices if needed.
- Heat sesame oil in a tadka pan, bring it to smoking point. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- When mustard seeds splutter, pour over the mango pieces.
- Mix it well with dry spoon. Transfer it to a dry and a clean container. You can serve this immediately but if you rest it for about an hour, it tastes better.
- Use sour mangoes or the gundu mango variety for the best taste. If the mangoes are not sour enough, add 1 or 2 tsp of vineger.
- Use dry clean containers and spoons so that it’s completely devoid of moisture.
Serving Raw Mango Pickle
- This instant raw mango pickle tastes best when served with rice, kanji (rice gruel) or with some cool curd rice.
More Raw Mango Recipes