- recipe by Dahlia submitted on 3rd Feb 2014
(Konda Kadalai Kurma, Chikpea Curry, Kadala Curry)
Kadalai (Black or White Chickpeas) - 1/2 cup
- Potato - 1 (cubed - optional)
Onion - 1 big or 2 small (finely chopped)
- Tomato - 1 (chopped)
Garlic - 4 pods (crushed or finely chopped)
- Ginger - 1/2 " piece (crushed)
Chili powder - 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder - 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaf-little
Coriander leaves - for garnishing
- Oil - 2 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Ingredients - To Grind
- Coconut - 3 tbsp
Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Cinnamon - 1 " piece
- Cloves - 2
- Wash and soak the kadalai (channa) overnight. You can store the soaked chickpeas in the fridge for about 2 weeks or in the freezer for about 2 months and use whenever needed. (You can also use the slow cooker method to soak and cook beans.)
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker. Add the curry leaves and chopped onions. Saute for few minutes.
- Next add the crushed ginger and garlic. Fry for a minute and then add the tomatoes.
Next add the soaked chickpeas and cubed potatoes (optional).
- Add the turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder and some salt.
- Pour about 3 cups of water and close the cooker. Cook for about 10 minutes (5 - 6 whistles).
- In the meantime, grind all the ingredients under 'To grind' to a smooth paste with required water. Keep it ready.
After the pressure goes down, open the cooker and switch on the flame.
- Add the ground masala to the curry and boil it. Adjust the gravy consistency and salt as per your taste.
Add finely chopped cilantro (coriander leaves) and switch off. Tasty chettinad style 'Kadalai Kuzhambu' is ready.
- The above preparation is also called 'Konda Kadalai Kurma'. It can be prepared with both white or black chickpeas. This curry goes well with all tiffin items like puttu, chappattis, puri, aapam, dosa, parotta, naan, idiyappam and idli.
If you are making 'Kadalai Kuzhambu' to serve with white rice, soak some tamarind in water and boil this along with the gravy.
- I've already posted the recipe for 'Kerala style Kadala Curry' made with roasted coconut.
Other Kurma Kulambu Recipes
Other Recipes with Chickpeas