- Submitted by Dahlia on 29th Oct 2014
(Knol Khol Sabzi, Knol khol Kootu, Kohlrabi Chana Dal Sabzi, German Turnip Sabzi, Chana Dal Sabji)
Kohlrabi (Knol Khol or Noolkol) is a vegetable that is rich in fiber. Kohlrabi can be eaten raw or cooked. It has a mild sweetness which makes it perfect for salads. It is very commonly cooked in Kashmir. In south India, it is added to sambhar, made as kootu or poriyal. It goes well with cooked dal to make sabzis (sabji). Today I am going to share the recipe of kholrabi sidedish made with channa dal. It tastes great with rice as well as chapati.
- Kohlrabi (Noolkol, Knolkhol) - 1 big (or 2 small)
- Chana dal - 1/4 cup (You can also substitute with toor dal or moong dal)
- Green chilies - 2 (or Red chilli powder - 1 tsp)
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Grated coconut - 1/4 cup
For the seasoning
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Dry red Chilies - 2
- Asafoetida (Hing) - a pinch
- Curry leaves - few
- Wash and soak the chana dal while you prepare the other things.
- Peel the skin of the kholrabi and wash it.
- Cut it into small cubes.
- Take the soaked dal and the chopped kholrabi in a pressure cooker. Add some salt, water, green chilies (sambhar powder) and turmeric powder.
- Cook it for 2 whistles and let the pressure go down. You can also cook this in an open pot.
- If you prefer your side dish a little watery like a south Indian style knolkhol kootu, then grind the grated coconut with some water to a smooth paste. Bachelors who do not have a mixie or blender can add the coconut as such.
- Heat oil in a kadai and pop the mustard seeds.
- Add the urad dal, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chilies, curry leaves and asafoetida. Fry for a minute.
- Add the cooked chana dal and kholrabi mixture to this. Also add the ground coconut.
- Add water if you prefer it a little watery. Cook everything together for about 5 minutes on medium low flame.
- Switch off and serve.
Serves : 2
Other Vegetables with Lentils
Other Vegetarian Side Dishes