- recipe by Dahlia submitted on 09-05-2012
(Spicy Popcorn, Movie night snacks, Curried Popcorn)
Popping corn kernels - 1/2 cup
Butter - 1-2 tblsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Red Chilly Powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp
Amchoor (Dry Mango) Powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
1. Take a large heavy bottomed vessel and melt the butter.
2. Add the popping corn seeds and all the ingredients under 'flavoring'.
3. Mix with a spoon so that all the corn seeds gets coated with the butter and the spices.
4. Cover with a lid and let it pop on a medium low heat.
5. When the poping sound reduces, remove the vessel from the stove immediately to prevent the popcorn from getting burnt.
1. Mix all the above ingredients in a deep microwave safe dish.
2. Cover with a lid and microwave on high for 2 minutes. (or till the poping sound reduces.)
3. Carefully remove the contents wearing a gloves. The contents will be super hot.
Enjoy spicy masala popcorn with a cup of tea on a rainy day or with soda while watching a movie.
- You can pretty much use any spice mix to make your masala popcorn. Try using some store bought curry powder
, pav bhaji masala
or tandoori chicken masala
- Try using tamarind pulp instead of amchoor powder to make 'tamarind popcorn
- Popcorn increases by more than 10 times in volume after popping. So use a large vessel accordingly to make the popcorn.