- Submitted by Dahlia on 12th Nov 2014
Mashed potato is a dish prepared by boiling and then mashing the potatoes. While the recipe is from the western world, in India we have our own version of Mashed Potato Masala.
To make the mashed potato, you can use any type of potatoes. Russet potatoes are very starchy and makes great mashed potatoes. The buttery Yukon gold potatoes can be used too. Apart from the type of potato used, everyone has their own favorite way of making mashed potato. Some like to cook the potatoes with the peel while some love to add some extra seasoning. Here I have shared the recipe that I make quite often at my house. It is a fool proof recipe that is always a hit.
- Potatoes - 2 lb (about 1 kg)
- Butter - 3 tbsp
- Warm Milk - 3/4 cup
- Heavy Cream - 2 tbsp
- Salt & Pepper - to taste
- Peel the potatoes, wash it and cut into equal sized cubes.
- Take water in a large pot, add the cubed potatoes and enough salt to it.
- Switch on the stove and cook on medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender but yet firm.
- Drain the water and return the potatoes to the same hot pot. Return the pot to the stove and cook on the lowest heat while you add the remaining ingredients.
- Using a potato masher or electric hand blender, mash the potatoes.
- Add the butter and cream while continuing to mash it.
- Slowly add the milk and blend with the mashed potatoes until it becomes smooth and creamy.
- Finally, season with salt and pepper according to your taste. Switch off.
- The above recipe is that of a basic mashed potato. It is an all time favorite among kids. However, you can also add your own seasoning like garlic, rosemary, chives, bacon bits, spring onion, parsley etc.
- Instead of milk, a healthy variation is to add buttermilk.
- Mashed potatoes is sometime used to make other dishes like shepherds pie etc.
- It can be served with baked chicken, turkey or any other meat dishes. Together with the meat and some side salad, it is a complete meal.
Other recipes with potato