- submitted by Ramneet Kaur on 13th Feb 2014
Winter has arrived at the doorsteps and green fenugreek is welcomed by food lovers with open arms. Lots of delicious dishes can be cooked with this fenugreek leaves. Among all the North Indian dish, Mattar Methi Malai, is superior to others. The popular dish can be found in every north Indian restaurant.
Methi (Fenugreek leaves) and Matar (Green Peas) make a super-hit combination as their flavors balance each other very gently. When the blend of two is mixed with fragrant masala paste and freshly-ground dry masala, you will get an irresistible dish.
Recipe for Matar Methi Malai
Recipe Source: Chef Ramneet Kaur, http://haveliheritage.net/
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Fenugreek (Methi) leaves fresh - 1 cup
- Green peas (frozen) - 2 cups
Milk - 1/2 cup
- Fresh Cream - 1/4 cup
Turmeric - a pinch
- Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
Butter - 1 tbsp
- Kasoori methi (Dried fenugreek leaves) - 2 pinches
Salt - as per the requirement
- Cumin seeds (Jeera) - 1 tsp
Onion - 1
- Cashews - 7
Green chilies - 5
- Ginger - 1 small piece
Cardamom - 2
- Cloves - 1
- Wash leaves of green fenugreek with clean water and part the leaves from stalk. Cut it roughly.
In a utensil like kadai to heat, add butter, cardamom, cloves, onion, green chilli and ginger.
- Fry the mixture until onions become brown.
- After that, add cashews to that and put it in the blender. Grind the mixture to a smooth paste.
- Heat butter and jeera in a kadai.
- After that, add the ground paste and heat the blend well in medium flame. Cook until raw smell goes off without altering the color.
- Add green peas and green fenugreek. Heat until peas gets cooked well.
- Once the procedure is done, add turmeric powder and garam masala in that. Heat it for next 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the milk in it and mix well. The heat should be medium and prepare for 3-4 minutes.
- At the end, add cream in the mixture and mix it well. Cook the blend at medium flame for two to three minutes. Transfer it to the serving bowl.
More Punjabi Recipes