- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan on 10th May 2016
(Fenugreek leaves and Sweet Corn Patties, Vendaya keera makka cholam vadai)
A tea time snack which is healthy and easy to make. It is a patties made with healthy fenugreek leaves and tasty sweet corn. Fried snacks are an easy way to attract kids as well as adults. What if we add some veggies and make the same snack extra nutritious? Its one of the easiest way to include veggies in the diet of finicky eaters. We all know the health benefits of fenugreek leaves that it is good for diabetic patients and proper bowel movement. They are good for lactating moms for milk secretion. It is also good for cholesterol and treats skin and hair problems. Kids love sweetcorn and will not even realize the addition of greens in it. You can make this vada using any other greens that you may have on hand too.
Preparation Time: 2 hours (including soaking time)
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Channa dal - 1/4 cup
- Sweet corn - 1/4 cup
- Fenugreek leaves - 1/2 cup
- Onion - 1 (finely chopped)
- Green chilies - 2
- Corn flour - 2 tbsp
- Rice flour - 1 tbsp
- Fennel seeds - 1/4 tsp
- White sesame seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Curry leaves - 4 (chopped)
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - for deep frying
- Wash and soak the chana dal in water for 2 hours. Drain the liquid and grind it coarsely in a blender or a mixie. Do not add any water while grinding.
- After the chana dal is coarsely ground, add the sweet corn and pulse it till it is partially crushed. Do not grind to a smooth paste.
- Remove it in a mixing bowl. Mix all the other ingredients - fenugreek leaves, chopped onion, chopped green chilies, curry leaves, corn flour, rice flour, salt, asafoetida, sesame seeds and fennel seeds. It should form a thick vada batter.
- Pinch out small balls out of it and flatten it like vadas in your palm. If needed, grease your palm before shaping.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Deep fry the vadas in medium heat till golden brown.
- Drain excess oil onto a paper towel. Serve hot.
- These vadas can be served with evening tea along with some chutney (mint chutney or coconut chutney) or tomato sauce.
More Finger Food Recipes