- recipe by Manaswita submitted on April 16th 2013
(Bengali Chicken Curry)
Chicken - 500 gms
Onion - 500 gms (chopped)
Ginger garlic paste - 2 tblsp
Garlic - 10 cloves
Chilly Paste - 1 tblsp
Tomatoes - 2 (chopped)
Green/Red Chillies - 10-12
Turmeric Powder - 2 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
Mustard Oil - 1 cup
Curd - 1/2 cup
Salt - to taste
1. Wash chicken pieces and apply some oil, salt and turmeric powder on it. Let it marinate for half an hour.
2. Heat the remaining oil in a kadai and fry the onions till golden brown.
3. Next add the garlic cloves, 5-6 green chillies and tomatoes.
4. Add salt, turmeric powder, cumin powder, chilly powder, ginger garlic and green chilly paste one by one. Keep stirring and cook till it becomes brown in colour.
5. Now add the chicken pieces and mix. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes till it softens. Keep stirring often. If the chicken starts sticking to the bottom, splash some water.
6. Finally add the curd and mix. Switch off. Serve hot with rice or chapatti.