-Submitted by Dahlia on 28th Sep 2015
(Murungai Ilai Kanji, Elakari Kanghi, Drumstick Leaves Congee)
- Rice – ½ cup
- Green Gram – ¼ cup (optional)
- Drumstick leaves – ½ cup
- Garlic – 1 clove
- Grated Coconut – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 4 cups
- Take a deep pan or a pressure cooker. Take the washed rice, green gram, drumstick leaves, garlic clove and the water in it.
- Cook this over medium heat for about 20 minutes till the rice and green gram is cooked soft. If using a pressure cooker, cook for 2 whistles.
- Mix in freshly grated coconut and salt to taste. Tasty kanji is ready to serve.
- Some people also like to add other vegetables like grated carrot, jackfruit seeds etc.
Murungai Keerai Kanji With Jackfruit Seeds
- This kanji can be served as a simple breakfast or dinner with some thenga chammandhi or pickle.
- If you serve this kanji for people with sore throat or common cold, do add some extra garlic, 2-3 sambar onions chopped, little pepper powder and cumin powder. The kanji will be very comforting and soothing.
More Porridge Recipes