-Submitted by Dahlia on 4th Jan 2016
(Mushroom Stir Fry, Kerala Koon Thoran, Mushroom Upperi, Kalan Poriyal)
Mushrooms are used in all types of cuisines. It adapts so well to different flavor combinations. Today's recipe is from the southern state of India called Kerala, where the mushroom is cooked with onion, garlic and coconut. Mushrooms and coconut make a wonderful combination. You should try it to enjoy. So here is the recipe.
- Mushroom - 250 grams (1/2 lb)
- Onion - 1/2 (chopped)
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
To Coarsely crush
- Grated Coconut - 4 tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Cumin/Fennel seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Green Chili - 1
- Pepper - 3 seeds
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Dry red chili - 1
- Curry leaves - few
- Wipe the mushroom with a clean cloth and chop it. Keep it ready.
Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. Once it crackles, add the dry red chili and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onion and turmeric powder. Saute for a minute.
Add the chopped mushroom along with required salt. Cover with a lid and do not add any water. The moisture from the mushroom is sufficient.
- In the meantime, coarsely crush the coconut with garlic, cumin seeds, green chili and peppercorns. Just add the ingredients to the mixer or blender and pulse it till it forms a coarse mixture.
After the moisture from the mushroom dries up, add this crushed mixture.
- Stir fry for couple of minutes and switch off.
- Serve this mushroom thoran with white rice and some curry. It also goes well with chapatti.
More Mushroom Recipes