- submitted by Grace Sam on Sep 1st 2013
(Oats Urundai, Spicy Oats Balls)
Oats - 1 cup
Water - 1/2 cup
Salt - to taste
Grated Coconut - 2-3 tblsp
Oil - 1 tblsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Urad Dal - 2 tsp
Onion - 1/2 (minced)
Green Chillies - 1
Curry Leaves - 1 spring (chopped)
1. Sprinkle some warm water and salt on the oats. Mix it and let it soak for 5 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a pan and splutter the mustard seeds.
3. Fry the urad dal till golden brown. Next add the chopped onions, green chillies and curry leaves and saute.
4. Add the soaked oats to this. Add some grated coconut and mix everything together.
5. Add more salt and sprinkle some more water if required. Cook it for just couple of minutes and switch off.
(The mixture should be sticky and moist enough to be able to form balls but not soggy.)
6. Make lemon sized balls out of this.
7. Steam it in a steamer or using idli plates for about 7 minutes. Serve hot with some coconut chutney
or any other chutney varieties..
- You can make sweet version by adding jaggery instead of the seasoning.
- You can also add some pressed rice (aval) along with the oats and make it.