- Submitted by Dahlia on 18th Jan 2016
(Vellai Pongal, Savory Paal Pongal, Savory Milk Pongal)
Pongal is the harvest fetival celebrated in Tamilnadu. I have already shared quite a few pongal recipes. This is one of the basic pongal recipes that is made on pongal day along with sakkarai pongal (sweet pongal). It is also known as vellai pongal and its just fresh harvested rice cooked in milk using an earthen pot. The aroma of fresh harvested rice along with milk is considered very pleasing and satisfying. Most people do not add moong dal or anything extra. However, I prefer to add some moong dal and some grated coconut which adds a great texture and taste to the dish. It is traditionally served along with pongal kuzhambu or any vegetarian gravies. Kids enjoy this mild and creamy rice dish. So here is the recipe.
Recipe For Making Paal Pongal
Preparation Time : 5 minutes
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
Serves : 3 - 4
- Raw Rice - 1 cup
- Moong Dal - 1/4 cup (optional)
- Grated Coconut - 2 tbsp
- Milk - 2 cups
- Water - 2 cups
- Salt - a pinch
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Cashews - 6
- Wash the rice and drain the water.
- Take a pressure cooker and dry roast the moong dal for couple of minutes.
- Add the washed rice to this along with water and 1 cup of milk.
- Pressure cook on medium flame for 3 whistles.
- After the pressure releases, open the cooker and switch on the flame.
- Mix the pongal with a ladle so that it get partially mashed up.
- Add the remaining 1 cup of milk, salt and grated coconut. Continue to cook till the milk is absorbed and then switch off.
- Heat the ghee in a small pan and roast the cashes till golden brown.
- Garnish the savory paal pongal with the roasted cashews and ghee.
- To make the sweet version of paal pongal, just add some sugar and cardamom powder when you add the last 1 cup of milk. When serving, it is typically served with a drizzle of ghee and some chopped bananas on top.
More Pongal Recipes