- Recipe by Dahlia submitted on 08-27-2012
(Paruppu Kulambu, Moong Dal, Yellow Lentil Soup)
- Moong Dal (Split yellow lentils) - 1 cup
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic - 1 clove
Salt - to taste
Grated Coconut - 1/4 cup (you can add more if you prefer)
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Green Chillies - 2 or 3
Coconut oil - 1 tblsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Shallots - 3 (sliced)
- Dried Red Chilly - 1
Curry Leaves - 1 spring
- Take a pressure cooker or a heavy bottomed pan and dry roast the dal till you get a nice aroma.
- Add 3-4 cups of water, garlic clove, salt and turmeric powder to the dal. Pressure cook or cook on open pot till the dal is soft and mashy.
- In the meanwhile, grind together the grated coconut, cumin seeds and green chillies with required water.
- Once the dal is cooked, add this ground paste and cook for another 5 minutes. (Some people like to mash up the dal at this stage. Its really upto you.)
While the dal is simmering, heat a small pan in another stove. Add oil and pop the mustard seeds. Add the sliced shallots and fry till golden brown. Add the curry leaves and dry red chilly and switch off.
- Add this tempering on the dal and switch off.
- Serve this parippu curry with steamed rice, a drizzle of homemade ghee on top and some papadam. This is comfort food for most Keralites.
- Ofcourse you can also have this dal with roti.
Serves : 4
All bachelors or forced bachelors who do not have a mixie or blender can also enjoy this dish. You can add coconut powder, cumin powder and white chilly powder (or chopped green chillies) to the dal instead of making a paste.
Rice with Paruppu Curry and Papad
Rice with Paruppu Curry, Vellarika Pulissery, Potato Fry, Aviyal and Onion Papad Thoran