-Submitted by Dahlia on 19th Oct 2015
(Sesame and Peanut Noodles with Vegetables, Cold Peanut Sesame Noodles, Warm Peanut Sesame Noodles)
Peanut and Sesame Noodles is something that I came across while in the US. It has all the flavors that we often use in our Indian cooking. I am a big fan of the peanut-sesame combo and often use it with vegetable preparations like ennai kathrikai, carrot rice etc.
The best thing about this noodles recipe is that it tastes great when hot, warm or even when served cold. Its full of flavor and very filling. So it’s a perfect make-ahead dish for parties, pot lucks, picnics and long journeys. It’s a very easy dish to make that can be made by beginners too. You could make it with any noodles or thin pasta varieties that you have on hand. I have tried making it with healthy whole wheat pasta and it tastes awesome.
- Egg Noodles/ Spaghetti Pasta/ Hakka Noodles/ Linguini/ Fettuccine Pasta – 1/2 lb
- Toasted sesame seeds – 2 tbsp
- Ginger – 1” piece (minced)
- Garlic – 3 cloves (minced)
- Green Chili – 1 (minced)
- Sesame Oil / Olive Oil – 1 tbsp
- Spring onions/ Cilantro – handful
- Vegetables – 1 cup (Julienned) (You could use any vegetables of your choice like capsicum, cabbage, broccoli, carrot etc.)
For The Sauce
- Peanut Butter – 4 tbsp (I prefer to use the crunchy one)
- Soy Sauce – 4 tbsp
- Hot sauce – 1 tbsp (or use red chili flakes)
- Vinegar – 2 tsp (You could also use red wine vinegar or rice vinegar or lemon juice)
- Brown Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Water (or Stock) – ½ cup
- Sesame Oil – 1 tbsp
- Cook the noodles (or pasta) as per the package instructions with required salt.
- Heat oil in a pan with the ginger and garlic. Add the vegetables, green chili and sauté on high heat for just a minute.
- In the meantime mix all the ingredients to make the sauce in a separate bowl.
- Add this sauce mix to the pan and heat it through. Switch off. (In fact, you don’t even have to heat the sauce. You can just add the sauce mix directly to the cooked noodles.)
- Mix in the cooked noodles, spring onions and the toasted sesame seeds. Check for seasoning and add more salt or spices or lemon juice as per your preference.
- Keep it covered and let it rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with little toasted sesame seeds, peanuts and spring onions while serving. This noodles tastes great when served warm or cold.
- You can serve this with some grilled chicken or grilled mushrooms or grilled tofu to make a complete meal.
- If you want to make it a one-pot meal, stir fry some chicken strips and mix it with the noodles.
- The cold version of the noodles can be served wrapped in some crispy lettuce leaves. Make small wraps filled with the noodles and some more toasted peanuts and sesame seeds. Serve as an appetizer with some dipping sauce.
More Pasta & Noodle Recipes