- Submitted by Dr. Sreevidhya on 18th Oct 2016
Raw vegetable sushi rolls is a Japanese inspired dish which was made similar to Futomaki. I had made this for a cooking competition, the theme of which was 'Cooking without Fire'. This roll is made with all locally available ingredients and makes a beautiful presentation. It goes very well with soy dip and tamarind dip, the recipes of which I have given below. This can be had as a healthy evening snack or as a side for any Asian style meal. Do try it and enjoy.
Recipe for Raw Vegetable Sushi Roll
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: NIL
- Mixed Bean Sprouts (Navadanyam sprouts) - 3/4 cup
- Ginger - 1/4 " piece
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
For making wraps
- Cabbage leaves - 6-8
- Cucumber - 2
- Carrot - 2
- Radish - 2
- Bell Peppers (different colors) - cut into thin matchsticks ( about 1/2 cup)
- Carrot - 1 (cut into thin strips
- Tofu - cut into thin long strips (about 1/2 cup)
- Take the navadanyam sprouts and wash it with water. You can make the sprouts at home or buy the ones available in supermarkets.
- Take the sprouts, ginger, garlic and salt. Add few spoons of warm water and grind it to thick paste.
- To make the wraps, wash the cucumber and trim the edges. Using a vegetable peeler or a sharp knife, cut it into thin long strips. Repeat it and make strips of carrots and radish. For the cabbage you can easily separate the leaves. Keep all this ready. If you make this ahead of time. store it in cool water inside the refrigerator.
- Take the vegetables for stuffing and cut into very thin matchsticks. Do this slowly using a sharp knife.
- Now lets start with the making of rolls. Take once strip in a plate. Apply a layer of the sprouts paste and place another vegetable strip on top. Apply some more paste. Add a few of the vegetable sticks (bell peppers, carrot and tofu) in between. You can also use cilantro, avocado sticks etc. for stuffing.
- Roll the strips and serve with dips.
Soy sauce - 2 tsp
Sesame oil - 2 tsp
Apple cider vinegar - 1 tsp
Red Chili sauce - 2 tsp
- Take all the above ingredients in a bowl and stir it well. Use as a dip for the rolls.
- Tamarind paste - 2 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - as required
- Sesame oil - 2 tsp
- Stir all the above ingredients and used as such.
More Fusion Recipes