-recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 05-01-2012
Red pumpkin (grated along with the tender part after removing the seeds) - 1 cup
Green chilli - 1
Red chilli - 1
Coriander leaves (Cilantro) - handful
Mint (pudina) leaves - leaves of two twigs or 24 leaves
oil - 3 tsp
salt - to taste
Ginger - a small piece
Tamarind - a small piece
Garlic - 3 small
Onion medium sized - 1
Grated coconut (optional) - 3 tsp
1. Take a kadai and pour oil in it. When it is hot put the red chilli and fry, remove and keep aside.
2. In the same oil, add the chopped onions, saute for two minutes,
3. Add the grated pumpkin, green chilli, tamarind piece in it. Saute again till it becomes soft/cooked.
4. Switch off the gas. Add the garlic, ginger, coconut, pudina leaves, salt.
5. Grind to a smooth chutney by adding water. This can be had with anything like dal rice, curd rice, chappati, wada, pattice etc.
I prefer to eat with hot rice, two tsp gingelly oil in it and the chutney mixed in it. It is a lovely combination.
- Fry two tsp urid dal, red chilli, add the pumpkin and saute till it becomes soft. Add tamarind piece, coconut, salt and grind to a smooth chutney.