- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan on 15th Jun 2016
(Mulaika Vaitha Payiru Paniyaaram, Kara Paniyaaram, Kuzhi Appam, Spicy Sprouts Balls)
Many interesting snacks can be made using the Kuzhipaniyaaram pan. I have shared the recipe for the traidtional kaara kuzhipaniyaaram. Not only that, you can fry vadas for dahi vada, manchurian balls, kheema balls etc. using very little oil in this kuzhipaniyaaram pan. If you have idli/dosa batter in your refrigerator, you can make varieties of paniyaaram in a jiffy. They are also known as Kuzhi Appam in Kerala.
Here I have shared the recipe for making a paniyaaram with sprouts and mixed vegetables. Sprouts and vegetables makes the whole dish high in dietary fiber, vitamins and minerals. People on diet can enjoy these. This is a healthy snack for unexpected visitors or for kids to have after school. These are gluten free and vegan friendly. It is easy to make provided you have dosa batter at home. It can also be made any day as a healthy tiffin with some coconut chutney. So try these at home today.
Recipe For Sprouts Kuzhipaniyaaram
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Idli/dosa batter - 1 bowl (about 3 cups)
- Boiled Sprouts - 1/2 cup (You can use green gram or moth bean sprouts)
- Grated Vegetables (like carrot, beetroot, cabbage, onion) - 1/4 cup
- Green Chilies - 3-4 (finely chopped)
- Coriander leaves - handful (chopped)
- Ginger - 1" piece (finely chopped)
- Oil - for frying
- Mustard seed - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - few (chopped)
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Take the required amount of idli batter in a bowl. Do a seasoning with the items mentioned above (mustard seeds, urad dal, chopped curry leaves and asafoetida) in a small tadka pan. Add it to the batter.
- Boil the sprouts for just couple of minutes and switch off. Small variety of sprouts like green gram sprouts, moth bean sprouts etc. would be ideal for this dish. Drain the sprouts and mix it with the batter.
- To make the dish more healthy, mix some grated vegetables of your choice with the batter.
- Also add finely chopped green chilies and coriander leaves to the batter and mix well. The batter is ready to fry.
- Heat a kuzhipaniyaram vessel (also known as appa karal) and pour 1 tsp of sesame oil in each mould (kuzhi) to avoid the batter sticking to it.
- When it becomes hot, add one ladle full of the prepared batter in it. If required, drizzle some oil on top.
- When the bottom side is cooked, turn the paniyaarams with a skewer or fork to cook the top portion also.
- When both the sides are cooked and brown spots appear, remove from pan.
Serving Sprouts Kuzhipaniyaaram
More Finger Food Recipes