- Submitted by Dahlia on 26th Feb 2015
Broccoli is a vegetable which is gaining popularity in India because of its high nutrient content. I have already shared many Indian style preparations using Broccoli. I really don't know how I missed out sharing this basic recipe - Steamed Broccoli.
Steamed Broccoli is one of the tastiest yet simplest preparations using Broccoli. Crispy and bright colored broccoli florets tastes simply awesome. My daughter enjoys to have it as a snack with some mayonnaise. You can also make a quick dressing with some olive oil and vinegar and enjoy as a salad.
- Broccoli - 1 crown
- Salt - to taste
- Wash the broccoli. Cut it into florets.
- For the broccoli stems, peel the thick outer skin and cut it lengthwise.
Steaming on the Stove
- Fill about 1 inch of water in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil.
- Put the broccoli florets in a steamer basket and place inside the pan. If you do not have a steamer, add the broccoli pieces directly into the boiling water.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it steam for about 3-4 minutes.
- Drain excess water and serve.
Steaming in Microwave
- Place the broccoli florets in a microwave safe ceramic or glass bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp of water.
- Cover with a microwave safe lid or plate.
- Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes. If the broccoli is not done, cook for an additional minute.
- The broccoli should have turned bright green in color. This is an indication that the broccoli is done. It should be cooked soft enough to insert a fork but it should retain its crispiness. Overcooked mushy broccoli has a very unpleasant taste.
- You cans Season with some salt and pepper and serve as such.
- You could also toss with some butter or mayonnaise or cheese and serve.
- You can add some flavorings like garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, vinegar or soy sauce and serve.
- Sometimes, I also like to add some toasted sesame seeds or sliced almonds and serve.
Steamed broccoli tossed with salt, pepper and cheese and served as a side for steak
Steamed broccoli served as a side for chicken burger
More Broccoli Recipes