- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 05-07-2012
(Masaledhar Karela, Pavakkai Varuval)
Bittergourd (medium sized) - 5 nos
Peanuts (roasted) - handful
Onion (Medium sized) - 6 nos (chopped finely)
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 5 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida - less than 1/4 tsp
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Oil - 3 tsp
Oil for frying
1. Scrape the bitter gourd with a peeler. Slit the same without breaking both the edges. Marinate with salt and keep aside for 1 hour.
2. Some people use the scraped part of the bittergourd after frying the same along with the filling.
3. Crush the peanuts.
4. In a kadai, pour oil. When it becomes hot, add the cumin seeds, then add the chopped onion, add required amount of salt and fry them.
5. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for two minutes.
6. Add the coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, asafetida and sauté well. You will get a nice paste like filling.
7. Add the crushed peanut and switch off the gas.
8. Wash the bittergourd and pat with a cloth to remove the water from it.
9. Fill the bittergourd with the filling and press it so that the excess filling will come out. Remove the excess filling and tie with thread.
10. Deep fry them in oil. Remove from oil, cut thread and remove it. Garnish with the balance filling and chopped coriander leaves.
It tastes good with chappati, lapsi kitchdi or if you love eating just like that it is good. I also prefer with bread.
Other Bitter gourd Recipes