-Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan on 4th Jan 2016
(Tarbooz Kofta Curry, Tarboosani Kofta Curry)
Preparation time: 20-30 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
- White portion of watermelon - 2 cups (grated)
- Onion - 1 (finely chopped)
- Green Chili - 2 (finely chopped)
- Coriander leaves - 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
- Bread - 2 slices
- Ginger - 1" small piece (minced)
- Red Chili Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Corn Flour - 2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Few cashew-nuts / raisins (to stuff inside the koftas)
- Oil - for frying
For The Gravy
- Onion - 1 medium sized (finely chopped)
- Tomato - 1 (finely chopped)
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Roasted cumin powder - 1/4 tsp
- salt - to taste
- Coriander leaves - handful (finely chopped)
- Fresh Cream - 1 tsp (optional)
- Squeeze all the water from the grated watermelon. Take it along with the other kofta ingredients (except the cashew/kismiss) in a bowl.
- Knead well to make a firm dough. Do not add any water.
- Divide the dough into equal parts. Stuff one piece of kaju and kismiss inside each portion and roll it in your palm to form the kofta.
- Deep fry the kofta balls in medium hot oil till golden brown. Remove and keep aside in an absorbent paper.
- In another kadai, add 1 tsp oil, when the oil becomes hot, add the chopped onion. Saute for few minutes and then add the tomatoes.
- Saute the same till it becomes soft and switch off.
- Once it cools, grind it in a mixer to a smooth puree.
- In a kadai, add one tsp oil, when it becomes hot, add cumin seeds and the onion-tomato puree.
- Add the turmeric powder, garam masala powder, chilli powder, cumin powder and saute for few minutes.
- Add 1-2 cups of water, salt and boil it. When the gravy thickens, remove from fire.
- When you are ready to serve, add the koftas to the gravy. Garnish with fresh cream and chopped coriander leaves. If the kofts are put in the gravy in advance, it becomes soggy.
More Watermelon Recipes