- recipe by Dahlia submitted on 01-13-2013
(Marble Cake, Vanilla Chocolate Cake)
Marble Cake is a cake in which we make cake batter in two different colours. The most common colour and flavours are vanilla and chocolate. The cake is made by layering the batters alternatively. It is then blended slightly with a stick or skewer to create a marble pattern. You can also make fruit flavoured marble cake like strawberry marble cake too.
Zebra cake is a type of marble cake in which equal quantities of the two cake batters are poured alternatively in the middle of the cake pan. This creates a striped pattern similar to the Zebra. Here is a zebra cake recipe with chocolate and vanilla flavours.
All Purpose Flour (Maida) - 2 cups
Sugar - 1 cup
Canola or Vegetable Oil - 1 cup
Milk - 1 cup
Eggs - 4
Vanilla Essence - 1 tsp
Baking Powder - 3 tsp
Cocoa Powder - 2 tblsp
1. Take the eggs in a large mixing bowl and beat it nicely.
2. Add the sugar, oil and milk to this and mix well.
3. Sieve the flour and baking powder into the wet mixture while mixing continuously till you get a smooth batter.
4. Finally mix in the vanilla extract.
5. Divide the batter into two bowls. In one portion add the cocoa powder and mix thoroughly. The chocolate flavoured brown batter and the vanilla flavoured white batter are all ready to make the zebra print.
6. Preheat the oven to 350 degree F (180 degree C).
7. Take a 8" or 9" round cake pan. (If needed, grease the cake pan with butter and add a dusting of flour. Since I used a silicone cake pan, I din't have to do this.)
8. To make the zebra pattern, take about 1/4 cup of the white batter and pour in the center of the cake pan.
9. Next pour the same amount (about 1/4 cup) of the brown chocolate batter on top of the white batter and in the center of the pan.
10. Repeat the process alternating the batter. The batter will spread creating the zebra print.
11. Bake the cake for 30-40 minutes till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
12. Once it cools, cut and enjoy the zebra cake.
Chocolate and Vanilla cake batters
Pour the batter alternatively in the cake pan
Repeat with the full batter
Bake the cake
Yummy Zebra Cake ready to serve
- You can also make zebra cup cakes.
- Instead of chocolate and vanilla flavours, you can also try with different fruit flavours. eg :- You can make a white batter and a strawberry batter to make strawberry zebra cakes.
- If you do not want to make cake batters with two different flavours, just add two different food colouring and make the zebra pattern.
Here is the picture of zebra cake sent by Raji. She made the zebra print with white vanilla cake and vanilla cake with orange food colour. Do experiment with your own flavours and colours.