- recipe by Mubeen submitted on 10-25-2009
(Podalangai Kootu, Chichinda / Padval Ki Sabzi)
Snake Gourd - 1 (cut into small pieces)
Toor dhal/ Channa Dal - 1/2 cup
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Asofoetida - a pinch
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Red chillies - 2
green chillies - 2
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
curry leaves - 1 spring
coconut - 3-4 tblsp
turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
salt - as needed
1. Grind coconut, turmeric, cumin seeds, green chillies together, make a coarse paste and keep aside.
2. Pressure cook the toor dhal seperately.
3. Heat oil in a kadai. Once heated put the mustard seeds,curry leaves, red chilles for tadka.
4. Then add GG paste, Asafoedita powder and the snake gourd pieces. Let it cook.
5. Once the veggies are 3/4 done, add the dhal and required salt. Let them cook together for sometime.
6. Then add the ground coconut mixture. Mix well and let it cook for few minutes.
7. Snake gourd thoran is done. Serve with white rice or with chappatti.