- Submitted by Dahlia on 12th Jan 2008
(Broccoli Paratha, Broccoli Chapatti)
This paratha is a small variation to the traditional parathas. Instead of stuffing the vegetables inside rolled out rotis, we grind the vegetable into a smooth paste and add the paste to the atta while kneading the dough. So am not sure whether to name it as paratha or vegetable chapatti. Whatever be the name given, it is definitely a healthy food and an easier way to eat the vegetables.
This method is especially easy for making parathas with watery vegetables like spinach (palak chapatti), avocado chapatti, radish (mooli chapatti), turnip (shalgham chapatti), tofu chapatti etc.
Recipe for Broccoli Paratha
Whole Wheat flour - 1.5 cups
- All purpose flour - 1 tbsp
Broccoli - 1/2 crown
- Onion - 1/2 (minced - optional)
Garlic - 1 clove
- Green chilies - 2
Garam masala - a pinch
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
Carom seeds or bishop's weed (Ajwain) - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
Oil - for making parathas
- Wash the broccoli and cut into florets.
- Bring some water to boil and add app. 10 florets to it with some salt.
- After 2 minutes remove the florets and grind it into a fine paste with turmeric powder, garlic, garam masala and green chilies.
- In a mixing bowl add wheat flour, all purpose flour, the ground mixture, some minced onions, carom seeds and salt.
- Knead it like chapatti with required water.
- At this stage you can let the dough rest for some time.
- Make small balls similar to chapatti.
- Roll out each ball similar to making chapattis.
- Heat a griddle and put the paratha on it.
- Pour few drops of oil/ghee on top.
- Cook till both sides are browned.
- Serve with pickle, curd or some spicy gravy.
More Broccoli Recipes