- Submitted by Dahlia on 12th Oct 2008
(Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe, Chicken Pot Pie With Puff Pastry)
Frozen Puff Pastry - 2 sheets
- Egg - whisked with 1 tbsp of water (for egg-wash)
For Chicken Stock
Chicken - 2 lb (or 1 kg)
- Carrot - 1
- Celery - 1 stalk
- Onion - 1
- Salt - 2 tsp
- Herbs - handful of any herbs that you have on hand
Unsalted butter- 6 tbsp
- Onion - 1 large diced (about 1 1/4 cups)
- Carrots - 3 (diced)
- Celery stalks - 3 (diced)
- Green peas - 3/4 cup
- All-purpose flour (Maida) - 1/2 cup
- Milk- 1 1/2 cup
- Pepper (crushed) - 1/2-1 tsp (as needed)
- Salt - as needed
- Parsley/ Cilantro - 2 tblsp (minced)
Puff Pastry Covering
- Boil plenty of water in a deep pot with the chicken in it to make the chicken stock. Add the carrot, celery, onion, herbs and salt with it.
- Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes to 2 hours till you get a nice chicken stock.
- Drain the stock separately and keep aside.
- Remove the chicken pieces, shred it and keep it aside.
- In a large pan, melt the butter. Add the onions, carrots and celery and cook until the onions are translucent for about 10 minutes.
- Add the flour (maida) and cook for a minute. Whisk in 2 1/2 cups of the chicken stock that was just made.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the milk. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the shredded chicken meat, green peas, parsley/cilantro, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Let everything simmer till you get a nice thick gravy. Check for seasoning.
- In the meantime, thaw the pastry sheet.Roll out one sheet on a lightly floured surface.
- Using the pot that you are going to make the pot pie, cut out the pastry sheet such that its circumference is 1 inch bigger than the pot itself.
- Pour the filling into the pots (you can use 1 big pot or 3-4 small bowls that are oven proof).
- Lay the puff pastry dough round on the pot covering the pie filling like a lid.
- Fold the excess dough under itself and using a fork press the dough against the edge of the bowls.
- Cut a 1-inch slit in the center of the pastry sheet for the steam to escape.
- Using a pastry brush apply egg wash over the pastry sheet.
- Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and the filling is bubbling.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Chicken pot pie is a one pot meal. It has protein carbs and vegetables needed for a meal. So the pot pie can be served all by itself.
More Chicken Meals
More American Recipes