- recipe by Inara submitted on 06-12-2008
Dhokla is a traditional Gujarathi dish made with chikpea flour(besan) in which the besan is traditionally mixed with sour curd and allowed to ferment. It is then spiced with green chillies and steamed and cut into small pieces. This recipe is an instant version of dhokla in which we use citric acid and baking soda which makes the dhoklas light and spongey. The same recipe can be used to make rawa dhokla(sooji dhokla) made with semolina. It is usually served with green chutney and had as a snack or a complete meal.
Gram flour(Besan) - 1 1/2 cup
Sugar - 3-4 tsp (Diabetic people do not add this)
Oil - 1 tblsp
Citric acid - 1/2 tsp
soda-bi-carb( Baking Soda) - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Lemon juice - 3-4 drops
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 1 tblsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Sesame seeds - 1/4 tsp
Asaefoetida - a pinch
Curry leaves - 5-6
Water - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1 tsp
Cilantro - for garnish
Grated coconut - for garnish
Sev - for garnish
1. Mix all the ingredients from batch I in a bowl with water enough to make a thick paste(like idli batter).
2. Blend it well with a hand blender or with hand.
3. Steam it for 15 minutes on high flame.
4. Cut it into square pieces.
5. Tempering: Heat 1 tbsp oil. Add jeera(cumin), rai(mustard seeds), til(sesame seeds), hing(asaefoetida) and karipatta(curry leaves). When it splutters add 1/2 cup water and 1 tsp sugar.
6. Pour this water slowly on dhokla pieces.
7. Garnish this with fresh coriander, shredded fresh coconut and sev. Serve with green chutney
or dhokla chutney.