- submitted by Dahlia on 07-01-2009
(Surali Vadi, Suralichi Wadi, Spicy Gram Flour Rollups)
Gram Flour (Besan) - 1 cup
Yogurt - 1 cup
Water - 1 cup
Turmeric Powder - 1/8 tsp
Asafoetida - pinch
Ginger paste - blueberry size
Green Chilly paste - 1/4 tsp (optional)
Grated Coconut - 1 tblsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Sesame Seeds - 1 tsp
Dry Red Chilly - 1
Oil - 2 tblsp
Curry Leaves - 1 spring
Salt - to taste
Cilantro - for garnishing (finely chopped)
1. Mix together the gram flour, ginger paste, green chilly paste, turmeric powder, asafoetida and required salt.
2. Add the yogurt and water gradually while stirring continuously to make a smooth paste.
3. Transfer this to a pan and cook the mixture for about 10 minutes stirring continuously.
Note : - There will be lot of splattering during the cooking process.
- You can also cook the mixture in the microwave for 5 minutes stirring after every minute.
4. After the besan mixture is completely cooked and it becomes like a smooth paste, switch off the flame.
5. Using a spatula take some of the mixture and spread it onto a smooth ungreased surface immediately. (It can be the back of a stainless steel plate, baking tray, cookie sheet or just an aluminium foil.)
7. Let it cool for about 5 minutes.
8. In the meantime heat a pan and make a seasoning of mustard seeds,sesame seeds, curry leaves and dry red chilly.
9. Sprinkle half of the seasoning over the mixture.
10. Cut into thin strips and roll up each strip into firm roll.
11. Arrange the rolls in a serving dish, garnish with the remaining seasoning, finely chopped cilantro and grated coconut.
More Gujarathi Recipes