- submitted by Dahlia on 08-04-2008
(Key Lime Meringue Pie, Lime Meringue Pie, Lemon Pie)
Pie crust - 1 (9" baked)
(You can also make the crust at home)
For lemon filling
Sugar - 1 cup
All purpose flour - 2 tblsp
Corn starch - 3 tblsp/ Gelatin - 1 envelope
Lemon/ Lime / Key lime - 2 (juice and zest)
Butter - 2 tblsp
Egg yolks - 4 (beaten)
Salt - a pinch
Water - 1 1/2 cup
Egg whites - 4
Sugar - 6 tblsp
Lemon Meringue Pie
: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the pie crustfor 10-12 minutes until its done.
2. To make lemon filling
: Mix all the ingredients under 'for lemon filling' except egg yolks and bring it to a boil.
3. Beat the egg yolks seperatly in another bowl.
4. Mix half of the hot sugar lemon mixture and add it to the egg yolks little by little whisking continuously.
5. Add this to the rest of the sugar lemon water. (If you add the egg yolks directly to the hot lemon sugar water, it will scramble up.)
6. Bring everything to a boil and simmer till it becomes thick (app 10 minutes).
7. To make meringue
: Whip the egg whites in a seperate bowl using a hand mixer until it is nice and fluffy.
8. Add sugar and continue to whisk until it becomes thick and stiff. (10 min)
9. Take the baked pie shell, pour the lemon mixture into it. Spread the meringue over that gently.
10. Bake for 10 minutes until the meringue turns golden brown.
Take a pie crust
Bake the crust for 10-12 minutes
Pour the lemon filling
Spread the meringue over the filling gently
Bake till the top is golden brown
Enjoy lemon meringue pie