- submitted by Dahlia on 08-27-2008
(Lobster Thokku, Spicy Red Lobster Curry)
Lobster tail/ Whole lobster - 2
Onion - 2 (sliced lengthwise)
Ginger garlic paste - 2 tblsp
Tomatoes - 2-3 (chopped)
Green Chillies - 3
Chilli powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Cilantro - handful
Oil - 2-3 tblsp
Salt - to taste
1. Boil the lobster tail in water with some salt and turmeric powder for 2-3 minutes.
2. If using whole lobster, cut it into slices after boiling. If using lobster tail just make a slit in the center for the masala to get inside.
3. Heat oil in a pan. When it is smoking hot, sear the lobster in that for a minute over medium high heat.
4. Remove the lobster and keep it aside.
5. In the same pan, add some more oil if needed, splutter the mustard seeds and saute the onions till they turn golden brown.
6. Fry the ginger garlic paste for a minute and then add the tomatoes.
7. Add turmeric powder, required salt and chilli powder and cook everything for 5 minutes till a nice masala is formed.
8. Now add the fried lobster pieces/tail and finely chopped cilantro.
9. Toss everything together for 1-2 minutes. Add little water and bring it to a boil if you want more gravy.
10.Garnish with finely chopped cilantro and split green chilies. Serve with pulav or shrimp biriyani.
- You can also use the recipe to make crab masala or crawfish masala.